Monday, December 28, 2009

"that was the summer we were eighteen. when we swam in the quarry, it didn't seem dangerous; nothing seemed dangerous."

"YOUR BOREDOM IS YOUR PROBLEM," said Owen Meany. "IT'S YOUR LACK OF IMAGINATION THAT BORES YOU. HARDY HAS THE WORLD FIGURED OUT. TESS IS DOOMED. FATE HAS IT IN FOR HER. SHE'S A VICTIM; YOU'RE A VICTIM, THE WORLD WILL USE YOU. WHY SHOULD SOMEONE WHO'S GOT SUCH A WORKED-OUT WAY OF SEEING THE WORLD BORE YOU? WHY SHOULDN'T YOU BE INTERESTED IN SOMEONE WHO'S WORKED OUT A WAY TO SEE THE WORLD? THAT'S WHAT MAKES WRITERS INTERESTING! MAYBE YOU SHOULD BE AN ENGLISH MAJOR. AT LEAST, YOU GET TO READ STUFF THATS WRITTEN BY PEOPLE WHO CAN WRITE! YOU DONT' HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO BE AN ENGLISH MAJOR, YOU DON'T NEED ANY SPECIAL TALENT, YOU JUST HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT SOMEONE WANTS YOU TO SEE - TO WHAT MAKES SOMEONE ANGRIEST, OR THE MOST EXCITED IN SOME OTHER WAY. ITS SO EASY; I THINK THAT'S WHY THERE ARE SO MANY ENGLISH MAJORS."

"At nineteen, I drank infrequently - and entirely for the maturing thrill of becoming drunk. But Owen Meany didn't drink; he disapproved of losing control."

"Some of the 'early nerds' were already arriving. 'Early nerds' were students who were so eager for the school day to begin that they got to morning meeting long before the time they were required to be there. I don't know what they are called today, but I'm sure such students are never called anything nice."

"I have learned that the consequences of our past actions are always interesting; I have learned to view the present with a forward-looking eye."

"You'd think I might profit from my experience with ice cream. If I have ice cream in my freezer, I'll eat it - I'll eat all of it, all at once. Therefore, I've learned not to buy ice cream. Newspapers are even worse for me than ice cream; headlines, and the big issues that generate the headlines, are pure fat."

"Someone said to me that most war registers who returned to the United States couldn't take the Canadian climate; and what did I think of the seriousness of the war resistance if 'these people' could be deterred from their commitment by a little cold weather? I said it was colder in New Hampshire."

"Four strong winds that blow lonely,
Seven seas that run high,
All those things that don't chance come what may
But our good times are all gone,
And I'm bound for movin' on,
I'll look for you if I'm ever back this way."

"BUT YOU HAVE NO FAITH," he said. "THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM."

"YOU'VE GOT TO LEARN TO FOLLOW THINGS THROUGH - IF YOU CARE ABOUT SOMETHING, YOU'VE GOT TO SEE IT ALL THE WAY TO THE END, YOU'VE GOT TO TRY TO FINISH IT."

"I DON'T SEE YOU HANGING OUT WITH THOSE ASSHOLES - I DON'T SEE YOU HANGING OUT WITH ANYBODY. WHAT I'M TELLING YOU IS, IF YOU WANT TO DO THINGS YOUR OWN WAY, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO MAKE A DECISION - YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO FIND A LITTLE COURAGE."

"IF YOU CARE ABOUT SOMETHING, YOU HAVE TO PROTECT IT - IF YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A WAY OF LIFE YOU LOVE, YOU HAVE TO FIND THE COURAGE TO LIVE IT."

"I remember a contemporary of mine asking me - with a killing lack of humor - if I didn't sometimes think that our whole generation took itself too seriously; and didn't I sometimes wonder if it was only the marijuana that made us more aware?"

"But miracle don't c-c-c-cause belief - real miracles don't m-m-m-make faith out of thin are; you have to already have faith in order to believe in real miracles."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © grey sequins
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com